Thursday, September 4, 2014

Clown Filled Day

What a day to be a clown. I had the entire morning/afternoon altered because of car issues, and then got to run my clown jam and do some volunteer work for the New York Clown Festival.

First, the jam. We had a blast playing with my theme of the day: BALLS! As the various students/audience/attendees (Still can't define what I'm doing, and that's ok) walked into the space, I broke down juggling using a multi step process. By the end, many of them could keep three balls in the air for at least a few tosses. I always imagined using basic juggling as a warm-up exercise, and seeing 6 people wildly play, laugh and chase balls across the room has made it my new favorite warm-up.

We followed that with a simple ball toss group ice breaker which built to keeping 6 balls in the air amongst 7 people.  Again, plenty of fun. And we closed up by allowing everyone to individually hop up, and perform a "juggling routine" where the goal was to juggle until we failed and then share our failures with the audience. It was my most extensive proctoring session, and I can truly say it was a great time. I hope it keeps growing. (Shameless plug - Every Thursday at 6pm at the People's Improv Theater)

Right after that, it was off to the Brick Theater in Williamsburg to help set up for New York's biggest pie fight. If you haven't heard yet, the New York Clown Festival starts tomorrow (September 5th), and I will be volunteering.


The festival starts off with a grand public parade for clowns.  We are meeting at Union Square at 5:30pm (all are welcome), and traveling en masse to Williamsburg, where the Pie Fight will be held. My silent clown Joey will be attending with Kim's (my fiance's) clown Nina Deliah. They are bringing lots of popcorn to enjoy all of the festivities.

Then, for the next month, I will be reviewing/blogging shows right here.  I highly recommend that everyone sees a show or two.  Here's the website:

http://www.bricktheater.com/

I will be seeing the following shows:

9/7 @ 5:30pm - Ein Tod 
9/7 @ 7pm - Giovanni
9/7 @ 8:30pm - Poofy du Vey
9/9 @ 7pm - La Cita
9/9 @ 8:30pm - An Evening with Aitor
9/11 @ 10:30pm - Clown Cabaret
9/12 @ 7pm - Jeff and Buttons
9/18 @ 8:30pm - Pompo and Pio
9/18 @ 10:30pm - Clown Cabaret
9/19 @ 8:30pm - A Few of My Favorite Things
9/21 @ 7pm - Locked Up
9/21 @ 8:30pm - Tiny Dangerous Popcorn
9/25 @ 8:30pm - Big Shoes, Short Tales
9/25 @ 10:30pm - Clown Cabaret
9/26 @ 8:30pm - Amy G Entershamement
9/26 @ 10:30pm - Life After Death
9/27 @ 7pm - Grandma
9/27 @ 8:30pm - Vindelvoss Family Circus

See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment