Monday, September 1, 2014

Beginner Clown Blog

Are you a clown?

I don't remember the first time I was asked that question, but I remember the first time that I answered "Yes!"

I was asked by a clerk in a costume store, while buying my first red nose in preparation for a 3 week vacation. The first leg of the trip would put me in Montreal for a 10 day silent meditation retreat. After that, I would travel to Maine for a week-long clown intensive at the Celebration Barn Theatre, taught by Aitor Basauri.

If I had any difficulty labeling myself as a clown before the trip, I was fully confident in my new title after. Upon my arrival home, I joined my first clown troupe (EverybodyNose NYC) and have eagerly sought out every clown-based opportunity available. Performing in shows, walking the streets in nose, taking and teaching classes, proctoring a weekly jam.

I don't know where I am on my lifelong journey into this art form, and I'm glad for that. What kind of clown would I be if I had a carefully tailored plan?

And now, in addition to my study and practice, my jams and shows, I am starting this blog. To serve as a resource for both myself and others. Here, I will store my research, reviews, insights, confusions, announcements and anything else that jumps into my clown mind. It will serve as my written meditation on clown. 

And we'll see where this path of the journey leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment